Wednesday, May 25, 2011

There’s an app for that.‏

I think of there as being three categories of electrical play. 
  • Transdermal Electrical Nerve Stimulation (Tens) for pleasure, used to expand or stimulate the erogenous zones.
  • Tens for pain
  • Shocky handheld.
I prefer the shocky handheld because it seems to be less of a passive activity for both the top and the bottom.  My current favorite shocky toys are a violet wand, a little devil, a peripheral nerve stimulator, a cattle prod, and a stun gun.

During a scene I will lay them out in a row in front of the restrained bottom.  I will explain what they are.  And I will let the bottom’s imagination work.  The bottom will generally imagine much worse than I am willing to do.

The violet wand produces a feeling much like static electricity.  It is safe anywhere on the body except the eyeballs.  Used with a paddle tucked into the waistband or sock of the top, it passes the electrical charge through the top’s body.  This is profoundly intimate and sensual.
The little devil I got from the local leather shop.  The little devil gives a sharp feeling, just at the edge of being slightly painful.
The peripheral nerve stimulator is a professional grade of the little devil.  With the power dial at the side turned up, the peripheral nerve stimulator can be significantly more painful than the little devil.
The cattle prod was purchased from amazon.com.  According to the manufacturer’s website it is suitable for larger household pets.  It is not designed to stun the cattle; it is intended to encourage movement.  It feels like a pair of 18 gauge needles.
The stun gun I got during MAL from the  MisterS booth.  It produces a momentary white hot pain, followed immediately by an endorphin rush.  The visible spark is just a distraction, and those parts do not actually come in contact with the skin.  100% of the boys that I have used it on have thanked me afterwards.

For me the electrical toys are about fine control of sensation.  This requires practice and calm.  Calm in both the top and the bottom. 

I have found a light touch with the little devil to produce a more profound experience.  I hold the little devil in a cupped hand.  I allow the weight of the little devil to lean it against the bottom’s body, and drag it along the body in long downward strokes.  This produces continuous physical contact for uninterrupted sensation, without jamming the points of the little devil’s prongs into the flesh.  The little devil has an intermittent mode, cycling the power off and on.  (I think of it as blinking with love.)  But I find this intermittent mode less satisfying for me as a top.

For practice I love an iPhone/iPad application, “TriggerPoints”.  The app is intended for massage therapists.  Referred pain can be relieved by massage of the appropriate muscle trigger points.  My experience has been that very similar referred pain can be caused by shocking of muscle trigger points.  These are points on the body where a small shock with the little devil or the peripheral nerve stimulator can produce a big sensation.  There are some non-intuitive trigger points including some of the abdominals which refer to the back.

The peripheral nerve stimulator requires power adjustment based on how moist the skin is with sweat, so will be set higher near the beginning of a scene.  The power needs to be adjusted based on how close to one of the trigger points is being struck.

The cattle prod is not as bad as it sounds.  I will sometimes strike my thigh with it while talking to the bottom during a scene to emphasize that I understand what it feels like.  The amount of pain does vary slightly with how fresh the batteries are.

The stun gun requires aftercare.  The stun gun does leave small burn marks, noticeable only on close inspection.  I have found that application of a water resistant disposable burn pad from the local pharmacy speeds healing of the marks.  But I have found it more important to be there emotionally for the bottom after a stun gun strike. 

I like my shocky electrical toys.